Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Home Appreciation

Ordinarily I dislike flashbacks, but I need to write about home first, then write about Shari's and my one-month vacation traveling in Europe and visiting Whidbey. The impact of returning home wanes much more quickly than travel memories documented with photos and video. The experiences of travel are out of the ordinary. The experiences of being home are delightfully ordinary — and no less special.

We stayed in some very nice rooms in Europe. There was the small but high-tech room at the Ducs de Bourgogne in Paris with USB charging ports integrated with each electrical outlet and a Japanese heated toilet seat and heated douche sprays. The prince's suite at the Hotel Platán was that — fit for a prince. The four-star Nissaki Beach Hotel on Naxos was nothing short of decadent. Even staying with Shari's mum on Whidbey was great. But it's great to be home. One of the realizations I am experiencing now is that not even our most comfortable hotel room, and we had several, can hold a candle to the creature comforts and extravagance of home.

Even the simple pleasure of my daily morning walks with Nazar the Wonder Dog are a delight. We walk in the wash. It's not Blackett's Ridge, but after visiting crowded cities and towns, the quiet, open beauty of a Sonoran Desert wash is haunting. I am amazed how much growth has occurred in the space of a month. I am reminded why Shari and I moved here.

Home has its own history. The pleasures of travel in Europe include immersing oneself in its history. For me, the Sonoran Desert is a constant reminder of an ancient history that includes the Hohokam and cultures before and since. The desert is enchanted with spirits. So even in terms of my love of history, it's great to be home.

Reminiscences of our European odyssey are forthcoming. I have bottled memories in a journal, two thousand photos, and many hours of video. I have a hobby set out for the foreseeable future. The sightseeing was outstanding, but our time with family and friends was even more special. I wish they could join us here in the Old Pueblo. We could share without distraction and just soak in the healing warmth and sunshine of Baja Arizona.

Flashbacks will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment