Monday, June 20, 2011

Bhajans & Camels

Adivarapupeta, 1987
I have been known to lead bhajans, lively Indian spiritual songs. The practice came to me in 1989 when we in Seattle invited Shivabalayogi to return and conduct more public meditation and bhajan programs. He took care of the meditation, but we had to have people leading the bhajans. That was the beginning of almost two decades of weekly spiritual chanting, kirtan as they call it in North India.

I spent about a year in India over nine trips in the 90's.  Most every one of those nights, we sang bhajans. My voice became hoarse, but each night as we started singing, something kicked in and sound came out through me far better than anything I could contrive.

Since moving to Tucson, that part of my life has taken a back seat. There is a wonderful weekly group called Global Chant that sings songs from every imaginable spiritual tradition, but for me, the effect is different.  Sweet, but not as intense. Shari and I have played and sung together with and for friends, but it had been a while since we led a concert of sorts.

A good and inspiring friend asked us to do an hour or two of bhajans at her house. We scheduled chanting for late morning, Father's Day, followed by a potluck lunch. She invited friends and acquaintances and we had a nice group of some fifteen or so gathered in her spacious living room. (This is the camel connection.  Our host has two as pets.)

Shari played the dholak, double-sided Indian drum, and I played the harmonium as we took turns leading. It was wonderful. The sounds flowed out of Shari and me as if inspired -- well, they were. People told us they enjoyed the experience.  Smiles on faces and animated conversation afterwards suggested the same. I get so livened by spiritual chanting that I have to remind myself to keep calm or I will end up floating on the ceiling.

We hope we do it again, and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment