Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Migration North to South

Evening sun on the south side.
I'm still a snowbird. It's just that I no longer migrate from Whidbey Island to the Old Pueblo. I go from the north side to the south side of the house.

The swimming pool is on the north side. In the summers, there's shade by the house and mornings and evenings to spend in the pool. Meanwhile, the sun on the south side makes stucco and brick radiate heat like an oven. But come the cooler temperatures of autumn and winter, the sun on the south side is where this warm-blooded lizard likes to sit and enjoy the heat

I put my feet up, watch the saguaros and the mesquite trees grow, listen to classical Persian music on my portable music & internet radio device, drink my favorite beverage, and wonder whether I want to trim more agave leaves now or mañana.

See, I'm wearing clothes and socks. We do have seasons. We don't have so much of the brilliant autumn colors of leaves turning orange and red. We just have the same palette of colors in the sunlight.

Why, a couple of weeks ago we had rain overnight. The temperature dropped and when the sun came out, the clouds lifted to reveal the foothills of the Catalina Mountains dusted with snow.

We are getting little snowbird visitors from the north: brilliant yellow finches among them. I wish I was fast enough to take pictures. One morning about a week ago there were about eight sitting on branches by the side of our San Simeon street.

No comments:

Post a Comment