Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Octoberfest on Mt. Lemmon

Summerhaven, more precisely, Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley, has an Octoberfest celebration on the weekends. Shari and I took the bait but didn't get hooked.

$5 parking, $20 for a couple of bratwursts, and $5 bottled beer are a bit rich for us. And I should have anticipated the music. I detest German oom pah pah. We could have ridden the short chairlift to the top of the ski run, but at $9 each, it wasn't worth it either.

However, the drive up Catalina Highway, a sky island scenic route, is stunning. Giant saguaro cactus are plentiful at the lower elevations, then oaks and junipers, and above 6,000 feet, pine forest. At the top, which is 9,157 feet, there are stands of aspen.

Next Octoberfest, we will bring a picnic lunch and take Jasmine & Nazar for a walk in the forest. Once at the Mt. Lemmon quasi-German function is enough.

1 comment:

  1. sorry it didn't work for you. I love oom pah pah. it gets my feet tapping and lifts my spirits. It's happy music.
    hugs to you and Shari, Cini

    ReplyDelete